Thursday, 16 July 2026

David C. Post - Thursday 16th July - Cattle Check

 Western Fen. 8.45 to 9.30 pm.

Firstly, the gate post of the gate leading from the Barge Canal (at the intersection) into the central path across the middle of the Meadows, has been broken off completely at ground level and is on the ground.

All six cattle up near the gate  and pump of the Western Fen. 
(Considerate of them, I thought!)

I was going to leave them to it as they looked OK, although a few being pestered by flies etc.

When they saw me watching and not going in, a few moved closer to the pump and started banging it and then looking at me. Clever, aren't they? It was not working - nothing coming up that I could hear. 

So, I went in, and they backed away from the pump to let me at it. Nothing at all coming up. I retrieved the hose, and first throw just brought up very dirty water, which they made a bee-line for. fighting each other to get at it, regardless of the fact that I was left trapped standing on the pump location stand!
 
2nd throw, produced a bit more water and a lot of air. And a crush to get at it. I had a third throw and got a good flow of clean water and no air. 

It was more like an Argentinian football team attack on the opposition, to get at the water. Problem was, I was still on the stand and I could not get them away to get off for quite a time. One of the Whites was hogging it and knocking the others around. getting quite aggressive in there and I was also covered in flies by then.

When I eventually managed to get away and got out of the gate, I watched for a while and it settled down. I was concerned that I had not got the hose deep into water. Went around into the permissive path before I left, and they were still sucking up a good flow by the sound of it. So went home as it was getting darkish by then.

So, can those checking tomorrow (Friday) and over the weekend, please check the flow.

If nobody is scheduled to check, can Jo or other regulars let me know (07484 790412), and I'll go in and check it again.

David. 10.15 pm Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment